View Single Post
      01-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #6
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowceta View Post
I did the Xpel partial hood and got a real nice rock chip / dent on my hood real close to the dispenser for the windshield wiper fluid. I regret not getting the full hood, but I don't think that even the Xpel material would have completely protected me on that hit. My experience with highway driving, especially around big rigs that almost always have mud and rocks falling off, is that a majority of the hits you take will be in the first 18", roughly, on the hood of your 1M. My GTI has a bunch of hits on the first 12" and has steeper slope to it than the 1M. Your aerodynamics will somewhat protect the rest of your hood from the small stuff. The larger stuff will probably leave its mark whether you have PPF or not.

My thoughts...
It probably would have...you have no idea how much protection this film offers. On a different family car, we recently had someone backup into the front of the car, hitting both the hood and the front bumper, and I kid you not, the film looked like crap after it was hit/scrubbed/stretched, but everything underneath was literally intact after removing the glue.
Appreciate 0