02-24-2018, 08:24 PM   #109
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowsdower View Post
15/85 is pretty low especially for VA. You guys get some cold temps. I'm somewhere around 40/60 + Water Wetter in TX, factory fill is 50/50. My car is also garaged - is yours? If left outside I would NOT do 15/85.

Also, antifreeze acts as a lubricant for the cooling system. I don't know if 15/85 is enough for the water pump and those things fail enough as it is.

Good luck on the OFHG! I just ordered that, valve cover gasket, eccentric shaft sensor, and a few other parts... have a long weekend ahead of me as well.
I'm also adding-in Water Wetter, which'll give a bit of additional protection to the components (and also increase thermal capacity/transferrence), but I've been looking at charts and various articles about the freezing points, and 40/60 water/antifreeze seems like the right choice for my circumstances. I'll see how my temps are at the track this summer, and I can adjust accordingly. It's not too expensive, either. Certainly cheaper than a warped block and head (yikes!).

Thanks for the input!