04-09-2014, 09:26 AM   #23
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSavela View Post
Not sure how I forgot to include these. Thanks for pointing it out. I've updated the original post. I'm sorry if anyone ordered up everything without the plastic caps.

Nothing had to be modified. It was a direct replacement.

It's an M8, probably 1.25 pitch. You can remove one of your 6 stock strut mount nuts to double check.
Thanks, I reread your original post... yea that's tough. I didn't realize at first you were referring to the hex nuts that go over the strut tower. I don't even know how to describe that type of nut, it's M8 hex nut but with a threaded 'stem' on the other end lol. I checked Fastenal and couldn't find anything so I doubt anyone else carries this.

For anyone else thinking about ordering this kit from ECS, I'll add 2 minor notes. One, the incremental cost to add 7 quarts of Official BMW 5w-30 motor oil was was $2 in s/h charges so it might be a good time to buy oil. Their charge only $6.82 per bottle.

Two, OP noted that you don't need to buy part p/n 31316769731 (x4) since you can reuse 4 of the 6 you are replacing by the strut tower. With that said, if you wanted black hardware to match your bar, Fastenal sells these quite cheap at $0.50/ea, although shipping ruins the deal. If anyone wants, I can buy a bulk order of these black M8 hex nuts and can ship them out to you via snail mail for the cost of hardware + postage + paypal fees. Just let me know, plan to put my order in by end of week. You would need 4 of these.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/details/11508216

Last edited by 3002 tii; 04-09-2014 at 09:39 AM..
Appreciate 0