Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by d k View Post
Hello

Id like to do one or the other to my N54 and cant decide which...

Im sure the catless dp is better performance but the cattless mid (n55) pipes sound pretty good.

Im hesitant in removing both cats in case aimget pulled over so Im thinking of dong on ore another.

Whats the thinking of the brain trust here?

David

I would not do either.

You have to ask yourself what IS the end goal ?

For me it was a nice-r sound from the exhaust - and putting N55 catless mids on my N54 did not achieve that! The N55 mids just increased the loudness of the car(under WOT)... and in fact I felt like it hurt low end throttle/torque under 3K rpms. One of the reasons I went back to stock setup. After driving around with the N55 mids... I pretty much bit the bullet and ordered a BMW Performance Exhaust. I reinstalled the N54 mid pipe(with the secondary cats) and installed the PE's resonator delete. I am so happy with the results.

The N55's were a $450 waste of money and time. I just should have gone with the $850 PE to begin with.

Perhaps IF I had to do it all over again... I might do just a resonator delete on the stock N54 exhaust system. IF I had a N55 135i, I would upgrade the main cat to a higher flowing 200 cell cat/downpipe - a friend's 135i sounds so good with this setup. But the PE really achieved what I was after... a GREAT sounding exhaust, even when driving slowly thru a village. And during WOT it just sounds AWESOME!

But I am totally happy with my PE. Very happy indeed. Just the other night I was driving down a long downhill sweeper and hearing those pops and gurgles never gets old. I LOVE my PE!! I am constantly getting complements from other drivers about my PE.

Here is me driving around Southern Bavaria with my PE...
Appreciate 1
jemfff12.00