Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon Carver View Post
I haven't found there to be much of a compromise running summer performance in cold weather. Of course, an all-season performance may do better, but ultimately, I want stick and grip during prime season when it's warm and I refuse to spend the money on an intermediate set. In the summer, I turn off traction control immediately when I get in the car...in the winter, I tend to leave it on more as cooler temps just don't provide as much grip (With any tire)...and in the Northeast, you never know if there's a patch of ice lurking around the next corner. Things can get a little squirrelly if you put your foot down (Which can be fun if you have the runoff, if not - well...)

I don't have a set of winter rims/tires, though I'd like to...I haven't tried the PSS in the snow, and don't think I will. Since I'm in NYC I'm lucky that I don't have to depend on my car for transportation. When it snows, it sits. I take it out in every other condition, just not snow.

Ultimately, I want to get a set of Winter Tires / Rims at some point...
as a fellow Brooklyn-ite.....you are REALLY comprimising yourself and your car if you are running Summer tires in the winter. Really a bad idea. Whether you drive in snow or not it doesn't matter....when it is 30 degrees out and DRY your car is a safety hazard due to poor braking and poor handling on summer tires which are not working well in those temperatures.

and that one day you DO find yourself out on the weekend and it starts to snow, you will be in some major trouble so don't take that chance.

getting winter tires is NOT an added expense.....you save mileage anyways on your tires so they last longer. I think for us NYCers, storage is usually the biggest problem. Fortunately we have a little storage cage in our apartment building that we rent for all our extra 'stuff'.
Appreciate 0