View Single Post
      05-21-2019, 08:17 AM   #72
ProjektMayhem
MPOSTER
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_wagon View Post
First one for sure, but what is it made off?
Just to chime in here because I installed the ECS "kit" about a week ago after sending it off for paint, and I ran into the same issue of - particularly with ECS - which option to choose. I ended up ordering that first one (w/ ducts instead of fogs).

To make a long background story short (a long dark comedy of crappy non-ECS vendor errors) I ordered the ECS kit without really looking at it. After paint, the wife and I set about installing it using many of the 1M bumper threads on this site for reference. We knew something was amiss when we ran into fitment issues almost immediately, and finally put the stock 135 bumper up against the new 1M bumper for comparison. Same width. Good. Same height? Not so good (might be good for others however).

Basically, the ECS kit is a direct replacement for the stock bumper. Same upper mount points, same wheel well fitment, same belly trim screws. The only way that's possible is if the bumper is the same height, and the way that's accomplished is to remove some of the "height" from the mouth and duct openings. We did a side-by-side comparison shot of the ECS duct kit photo and the ECS fog kit photo, and it became really obvious. That's my fault when I ordered. Just to be clear, my issue isn't with ECS.

I'm not at all dissatisfied with the outcome, and I think it's a lot better than the stock 135 bumper. It's not the exact look that I was expecting, as it's not quite as aggressive as the 1M fog kit that most folks seem to start with. For that reason, if I had to do it over again, I'd likely have bought the fog kit and cut the fog brackets out myself for the ducts.

But if you're looking to avoid fitment issues in regards to the wheel well gap or belly pan screws, the ECS duct kit might be for you.

Excuse some of the cleanliness; can't really have her detailed for a couple of weeks yet due to the bumper paint:

Appreciate 0