03-18-2019, 06:44 AM   #6
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsmithvmi View Post
I had KW V3's double adjustables, they felt unsettled to me, hard to describe. I prefer my MCS singles, much more predictable.

I've also heard the Ohlins fitment can be tricky due to the size of the tube, but I have no firsthand experience.

Go for the Fortune Autos. I wouldn't worry too much about caster adjustability.
I've heard that the twin-tube damping of the KW's can be harder to tune nicely, and that their progressive springs are very noisy. And, yes, the Ohlins fitment (as that wonderful fe1rx thread illustrated) can be tricky. However, I'm not running a particularly aggressive wheel fitment (17x7.5 ET40). Tires are a tad aggressive, though, at 245/45-17.

EDIT/UPDATE: I've been looking back at fe1rx's awesome Ohlins installation/set-up thread. He didn't look to have clearance issues with 225/40-18 tires on Style 261 wheels (18x7.5 ET49), which have far less (almost a centimeter less) strut clearance than my 17x7.5 ET40 wheels, which makes up for the extra width of my 245/45-17 tires. If I need anything to make the clearance work, it'll be a tiny spacer up front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beattiecj View Post
All 3 are solid options you may want to also consider TCKline they make pretty good stuff as well.
I was considering the TC Klines for a while, but I'm already having corrosion issues with my Koni's after just two winters, and the TC Kline's are simply custom-valved Koni Sports with adjustable ride height/preload. Nothing wrong with that, but it is an old platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_01 View Post
Are you sure that Fortune auto ones are locally built? I thought the design looks very similar to a well known brand from Taiwan.

Personally I'd go with TCK single adjustable, or otherwise KW's if the price is more attractive.
Fortune Auto's are 100% assembled just down the road in Richmond. Where they get the parts they use for assembly is another question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx View Post
I've run on KWV3, PSS9, MCS 1WNR, ST XTA & finally Fortune Auto 510.

The top 3 IMO we're the MCS, KWV3 & FA510

I started with the KWs and moved to the MCS shocks and immediately gained 1.5 seconds at Buttonwillow CW13 (this is a 1:50-2min a lap) - I then moved to FA510 purely for cost reasons as I can only justify so much from the CFO/wife but was shocked at their performance!

For reference, these shocks are VERY popular in time attack. Will Au-Yeung just set the FWD lap record at the Japanese Tsukuba Circuit on a set of 2-way adjustable Fortune Auto coilovers.
That Civic is absolutely ridiculous! I truly appreciate you sharing experience with both the KW's and FA's. Since my car is my daily more than anything, how did the ride quality compare between the two? I already know that the Ohlins are the better damper for the street, but the CFD piston in the FA510's functions much the same as the DFV in the Ohlins, which shows potential to be similar.

Last edited by chris_flies; 03-18-2019 at 08:56 AM..
Appreciate 0