nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by chik0240 View Post
Hi all,

I've recently got a BMW 1M but on one occasion in a red light, I carelessly push the gear lever incomplete into the first gear position and thought I have done so completely, when I release the clutch to catch up I heard the dreadful metal tooth grinding like sound, surely I've instantly step back the clutch (like within a sec), going back to neutral and push the shifter fully into 1st and go on with the travel.

The car drives normally and nothing special feels to me (like when in gear if I put my palm on the lever barely noticeable vibration did happens, but that was there before I did the gear crunch).

My question is I am sure it's bad to the gearbox, but any idea or (touchwood) any experience from fellow owners?
I've had it happen to me in 2nd gear . Yes not good but you can probably get away with it couple of times. If your trans oil is two years or more older. It couldn't hurt to swap it for fresh fluid as you might have some metal flakes circulating in the fluid. As I said don't go swapping you new fluid but if already older or you don't know the history. I would swap it for piece of mind. It's not terribly difficult and an independent can probably do it for $250. Dealer maybe $300. Just use BMW LT5. If you live in San Diego I might even have a couple of extra bottles as I've done it myself.
Appreciate 0