03-22-2021, 08:56 AM   #12
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotontom View Post
Thanks for that tip. Every car has its anomalies, and this is good to know. I would have been down the road to a brake job. Worked like a charm, even though I had to get out at 4:00 AM to do it safely!
Nice! Yeah you are basically just cleaning off the surface of the rotors with the pads themselves. And removing old pad material.

In the future a couple things to remember - 1) Try not to slow to a stop from a high speed and just sit there, like the end of a long exit ramp or a country highway with a light. When it happens, give yourself a couple small rolls forward until the light changes so the pads aren't just sitting in one spot. 2) Be sure to occasionally do some decent braking, especially if you tend to have a lot of stop & go traffic where you are barely touching the brakes. They can glaze over this way as well if you are doing grandma driving.

And now and then when the opportunity presents itself give yourself a good decent stop but then keep going, kinda like the bed-in but maybe just a single shot at it not a repeated version.

Well it's stuff I do and I stopped having the issue, but certainly would have it on occasion in the past.
Appreciate 0