01-24-2018, 10:13 AM   #14
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypeber View Post
Anyone change their stock 1m strut bar and sway bar? If yes any recommendation?
Trying to get back on track, because I am also interested. What are you trying to solve?

the stock strut bar is pretty good as is.

On the sway bars, the car corners very flat and when pushed will understeer. In an autocross environment with tight turns, an adjustable or thinner bar that can be "softened" for more turn in would help. A hollow bar can help with weight savings, so for me an adjustable hollow bar seems like a real upgrade. I believe Dinan makes a hollow bar but can't recall if it's adjustable.

On the track, at high speed, the current bar gives you a margin of safety with some understeer but the car polywags even in a straight line and the rear wants to step out. I would consider a slight softening of the rear, to keep both tires down. Traction is an issue on the 1M. Again, an adjustable bar is your best bet in my humble opinion. Especially if hollow because no matter what, at least you will get savings.

Now what I just said applies to stock shocks. If you start to change shocks and springs, that is all interconnected.

Recently one of the BMW engineers was quoted as saying that perhaps they went to stiff on the 1M. If you watch Chris Harris' video of M2 and 1M drifting side by side, you will see that the M2 dips slightly more in a corner than the 1M and when drifting the 1m is very flat. The firmness works well on on perfect surfaces but get out of sorts on bumpy ones.

Your driving style also matters. A clinical technical driver can do better with a slightly softer setup that has more turn in because they can balance the weight transfer better whereas a Banzai Dive-into-the-corner driver would do better with a firmer setup.

After market bolt-on strut bars are mostly for looks, save your money and spend it on a good adjustable sway bar.

If you get one, let us know what you find out too.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0