View Single Post
      01-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #51
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

I just ordered a JBspeed rear trunk spoiler, probably the best priced rear wing available, for a little over $200.

Carbon cloth averages around $50 a yard, a lot less when you buy in bulk. Fiberglass is much less expensive.

The carbon fiber I have used ends up Much stiffer and stronger than the carbon parts I have bought for my car, so I'm suspecting a lot of carbon parts are not really made of real carbon fiber, probably dyed glass..

Even if my wing IS made of real carbon, there's about $7 of carbon used in making it (at $50 a yard). So my guess is there's less than $20 in supplies used in making a diffuser or wing.

I know there's a lot of time and energy involved in making molds because I make molds myself, but the single layer, thin parts made for cars are just SO overpriced it is just crazy.

I also know that because the number of sales per part is probably not that high, so I think that's why makers of parts jack the prices up so they can get their money back.

I guess we're lucky that people bother to make cool parts for our cars, but the prices are crazy, it's a catch-22.
Appreciate 0