03-07-2010, 07:44 PM   #44
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
BMW made an e46 330Ci (coupe) sport. It looked just like a M3 except it had multi spoke 18 wheels.

What I am saying is BMW has been "known" to do this very thing, juice up the model line just before the new platform comes out to replace it!

Having a M1 come out in the least year of two of the e82 life cycle, makes total sense to me. I also believe they will call "it" the M1. I believe this bc BMW "has to use" their trade mark'd names every few years in order to keep ahold on the register'd names/numbers.
Your TM idea is very true. Completely agree. However, they launched the M1 homage just over a year ago (or around there) so I don't think they need to use the M1 name again on something to keep the trademark.

As for the other BMW models, I can't counter most of them because I don't have sufficient information, but with regards to the E46, are you talking about the ZHP? If yes, I'd say that model was much more like the new 335is line than a M3. It may have LOOKED like a M3, but it was a 330i Sport with a bunch of cosmetic upgrades and a stronger engine (and I believe modified suspension?) It was not referred to as M3; it was still called 330. I'm not saying a high performance 1er is not coming. I'm just saying making a M1 doesn't make much sense. If BMW makes a car that closely resembles what a theoretical 135is would, they will not call it M1. Calling something M1 means it came from the ///M division, and making a 135is and calling it M1 dilutes the M brand.
Appreciate 0