View Single Post
      07-03-2018, 06:24 AM   #1
Zombie_Head
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: E30 325i 4-Door

These N52 NA engines are just....tanks.

I was very...concerned with numerous issues with regards to these N52 engines.

I managed to completed so over 20 days of track driving, training, drift days etc within 3 months.

Everytime i start that engine, it just goes. Not in terms of power, but in terms of not giving up.

Redlining 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears on the Nordschleife in 35-40c+ temps and that engine will never refuse to go all the way.

Granted, everything in terms of maintenance has been done, which also is the key to having reliability with any car (generally speaking). Watching how all the turbocharged stock and tuned cars fly by at much higher speeds, but only 3-5 laps in and they are on a cooldown lap or got limp mode. I just stayed out there, lap after lap.

My last event was for my national A license, was done at mending airfield. 43c+ temp that day, two 911.1 turbos, F80 M3 and C63 AMG (and other turbocharged cars) went to pit after 4 laps, i managed to get 9+ laps before the heat started to really bombard me.

There was 1 heavily modified 964 there also ran hot and went into the pits.

I just really wish there was a cost effective way to get 300hp from that engine, and probably get some wider tires without having to roll the fenders (need more grip, 225/40s all round can only give so much) and wish the E82 was a lot lighter, i mean nearly 1.5 tons in that "small car" is a lot, i can feel it, oh yeah and the seats are rubbish on track XD my legs are always leaning on the door panel or center console ^^

No funny noises, no smoke, no warnings even oil consumption is none.

NA engines just have that advantage of going on and on, but those turbos are just way too damn fast

Ferodo DS Performance street legal pads + 330i front discs + SRF react fluid = stops on a dime. I had to re-learn braking points, meaning at 70-80% brake pressure the car just stops. Making me wanting to break later and harder corner, but i also wanted to drive 600+ kms back home in one piece so i did not really push it (braking wise) that much.

120c oil temp at 43c day redlining 3rd gear all day on the airfield, damn i am impressed.

One more thing, that short wheel base is a beauty on the GP track or Mending Airfield, it is a handful on Nordschleife, even with 230-ish at the wheels that rear end does not like high speed bumpy corners sadly.
Appreciate 2
One28i14.00