View Single Post
      07-20-2019, 12:13 AM   #5
AndyW
Supreme Galactic Commander (one galaxy over...)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E93, '12 E82, '13 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
I believe my bolts were grade 10.9 but the nuts were 8.8. I went under a weakest link theory and changed them and torqued at the 8.8 spec. I found some general fastener grade & torque discussion that led me to that decision.

I'm sure some will say that was overly cautious. Maybe even incorrect as the bolts are torque to yield and the idea it to get some amount of stretch?? I just felt that I had torqued bolts beyond the recommendation and that they would have been compromised.

Are the bolts and nuts you used grade 10.9 or grade 8.8? If they are 10.9 you don't have a problem. If the bolt and/or nut are 8.8 you've got the same decision I had. In that case my obvious advice (obvious b/c that is what I did) is get new fasteners and torque to grade 8.8 spec.

BTW, the BMW TIS site has the same torque specs depending on fastener
grade.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...mounts/5bUExgU
Thx. The bolts are definitely 8.8. I didn't go all the way back under and look at the nuts once i saw the bolt was 8.8. Kinda irritated that the Bentley Manual is wrong...the bolts in RealOEM clearly indicate they are 8.8.

'12 E82-PS2,Stoptechs,Clubsports+M3 bits,Accusump,Wagner DP+EVO III FMIC,ERCP,BMS Intake,Mason Strut Bar,Wedge Tune
Appreciate 0