View Single Post
      06-27-2018, 03:42 PM   #3
Stubbie Blue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Coupe

Backup Camera
I used a Weivision Trunk Handle Backup Camera that you can find on eBay or Amazon:
http://www.weivision.com.cn/product/html/?17.html

It has good 700TVL resolution, and the connector is small enough to fit through the trunk wiring loom. You do this by removing both ends of the loom, and 'worming' the connector through. That is, pushing the connector through a bit while contracting the loom upstream of it, holding the connector from outside the loom, then pushing the loom downstream, and repeat.

I also used a relay so that the camera doesn't draw current from the reverse lights.

However, when the engine is running I get wavy interference in the video. So I ordered a PAC CSS12 noise filter and will see if that helps.

UPDATE: I installed the noise filter but I also improved the ground by connecting the bolt next to the tail light to the main battery grounding point. There's no more interference but I'm not sure if the noise filter or grounding helped more.

I drew in the PAC CSS12 noise filter and additional ground wire and updated the photo.

You have to disconnect the backup cam red wire from the relay (yellow wire on mine) and insert the PAC CSS12 in between them.

The PAC CSS12 has 3 wires:
The red input wire connects to the 87 yellow wire from the relay
The blue filtered output wire connects to the red backup cam wire
The black wire connects to the grounding point

I also used a wire to connect the grounding bolt next to the lights to the main grounding point below that the battery negative is also connected to.
Attached Images

Last edited by Stubbie Blue; 02-18-2019 at 05:29 PM..
Appreciate 2