08-09-2018, 02:21 PM   #19
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
You gave up that easily? I'm glad I learned car work when I was poor. No other options but press on thru shit like that.
I only have one car, so "pressing on" is not really an option if continuing at it means the car won't be driveable since I'd need to get new hardware, and a couple tools. Plus, the tools I'd need (stripped bolt extractors, another extension, and I don't even know how I'd get the top bolts out) cost nearly what it's going to cost me to have my friend take it off for me, so I'm not spending much more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Happens on pretty much all vehicles. The zinc plated bolts linked above may work. The principal is the zinc is a sacrificial material that oxidizes readily preventing oxidation of the steel. It works as long as it stays intact. If you scratch if off, the steel can still rust.

Common "stainless steel" is 304 which will rust, just much more slowly than carbon steel. If you really want hardware that unlikely to rust, you could use 316. If has much more chrome in it and is thus much more rust resistant. McMaster Carr probably has them. Their website is a little quirky but they give good service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowsdower View Post
+1 I just used McMaster Carr for hardware for my RSFB tool and found the whole process easy and far higher quality hardware than anything you’ll find in your typical hardware store. They are not consumer oriented but will do small orders. Check them out!
Thanks for the tips guys will take a look!