View Single Post
      02-26-2017, 01:25 PM   #20
drwillb
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: e30 M3, e30 M3, e46 M3

So, I mentioned I won the battle with the stubborn ball joint. I had tried everything I could think of, as noted in a post above, and then decided to just soak the joint with PB Blaster and let it sit for a week with the ball joint separator tool in place. I then came back and decided it was going to be all or nothing. I just started turning the screw on the separator by hand, slowly, and after a few turns it was all done. There was quite a loud pop when it let go. My son heard it inside the house.

Anyway, I had gone ahead and purchased new hub carriers but just want to put another point on my win column.

Below you can see my method for separating the rotors from the hub and also the hub from the carrier: put all four bolts in place then tap on the bolt heads, going around in a circle and tapping harder with each revolution.

You can see my new favorite tool at work: Thor's Hammer

The plan is to put the old hub/bearings on the new carriers.
Attached Images