Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhb View Post
I get judder in second gear around 1-1.5k rpm. Only for a brief moment and then it goes away when the RPM's rise. Car is also jerky and on and off throttle. It's def the DMFW. Damn thing also has the classic DMFW rattle in neutral after driving for a bit.

My car also has a slight rumble at idle. Brand new motors mounts. Changed vanos solenoids. New eccentric shaft sensor. New valve cover and PCV hose. Shop ran a smoke test, no vacuum leaks. Car still has a very slight rumble despite no misfires. Also the RPMs sometimes dips when coming to a stop. A part of me suspects it's also tied to the DMFW.

I've been looking around for a better solution to the stock DMFW but don't want to go single mass and increase the NVH. There needs to be a better middle ground.
I've been really thinking about that Valeo single mass conversion kit - it weighs the same as the original pieces. If we're already getting a bit of rattle from a worn dual-mass, then I don't think a single mass would really be that bad unless you get a lightened flywheel. The clutch is now sprung - I saw some people arguing that you're not solving the problem just moving it. I'd argue you're still solving it to some degree: the flywheel is less of a wear item now, and you moved the damping to the piece you'd always replace.

Also if I had a nickel for every time someone mentioned these cars stumble a bit at idle.. I don't know what's going on but seems like many many people experience this. I figure I still get great performance and gas mileage so it can't be TOO broken.
Appreciate 1