03-14-2010, 09:37 PM   #10
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliberate1 View Post
Thanks bud.
BMW dings the 128i owner. You are right that the differential on the 135i is a measly $200 making it a no-brainer. But for the 128i, the M package (ZMP) is $2450 vs $1300 for the non-M (ZSP), according to the 2011 price list. That makes it much more of a Hmmmmmm.
No brainer?
Only IF you like the double spoke vs the standard 135i 18's, and if you like the black/anthracite headliner.
When I ordered my 135i I preferred the standard 18's, and I didn't want the dark headliner as I prefer the lighter effect of the lighter headliner.

So, when I ordered my 2009 I got the "sport package" and not the "M sport packge", the only difference is the headliner and the wheels. Steering wheel is the same, handbrake is the same, paddle shifter (automatic option) is the same. So, basically the M sport pkg. is the double spoke wheels and the anthracite headliner.

On BMWusa.com it's still the same difference, and still only $200 for those 2 things.

If you like the dark headliner and you like the double spoke wheels, then it is a "no brainer".

OP: I'm in the Chicago area and we have our share of bad roads due to the widely variable weather. I kept my 18's and simply swapped the tires for Conti DWS all seasons and have had 0 problems or issues.
If you need more traction than all-seasons, then get a dedicated snow tire set in either 17 or 18". However, if you go 17 you'll have to get taller sidewalls, which will soften the ride and the handling due to the added sidewall flex. Plus, snow tires don't perform too well when the roads are dry as they tend to flex and squirm much more than all-seasons, and the snows are loud while giving lower MPG.
Snows are a great choice if you live in an area where there is snow on the roads for most of the season. Barring that, you may want to reconsider.
Appreciate 0