09-11-2015, 10:56 AM   #105
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post

Both good mods, although the brakes are pretty expensive. I still remember when Turner was selling the kit for $995! Wish I'd jumped on it then. A lot of people will tell you that they're not up to extended tracking sessions, and that may be true, but I find them to be excellent for street driving as well as autocross. I do have a track day coming up next month, so we'll see how they do. I'm on stock pads, and it seems like all of the 6-piston caliper failures I've seen have been in conjunction with aftermarket pads of a slightly different shape than OEM.

...snip...

I know. I had only ever seen it in pictures before (almost always in white) and was sort of on the fence about it - sometimes I liked, sometimes I thought it looked a little goofy. But seeing it in the flesh, in Crimson, and on my car - I'm sold on it.
From all I've read, I agree with you with a few additional thoughts. Very aggressive track pads really crank up the heat on the stock brakes....and repeated heavy usage of these on a track is what kills off the factory seals and cracks the ceramic inserts. Given our cars are lighter (and slower), and if you use a street or street sport type pad (like HPS or Stoptech Street), I think the brakes will hold up just fine. You now have that wicked aero front bumper, which also means you're getting good airflow to the brakes. not sure if you have ducting or the F30 backing plates, but put all that together and you'll have a pretty decent setup for the occasional track day....

On the bumper, agreed - it looks way better in red than the white....

Last edited by asbrr; 09-11-2015 at 11:06 AM..
Appreciate 0