Thread: Trouble Codes
View Single Post
      04-10-2017, 11:09 AM   #4
Suhb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i Coupe 6-Speed

At one point, I thought my eccentric shaft sensor was failing due to idle surges, and when slowing down to a stop, idle would dip nearly stalling the car. I was so sure it was the sensor and was ready to order a new one until I just removed the engine cover and unplugged the sensor. Absolutely no trace of oil in the plug.

I ended up removing my vanos solenoids and soaking them in maf cleaner which did help for a long while. I am probably going to swap out the solenoids as 100k maintenance since they do degrade and engine performance is reliant on it. Mind you, I never had a CEL or SES, and didn't read the codes, but I could feel the hesitations in the engine. I'll pull my codes this week and see if there's anything related to eccentric shaft or vanos.

Edit: I think it's very possible that when the solenoids are hiccuping and not retarding or advancing the timing on the camshaft properly, the eccentric camshaft sensor could get an improper reading. Oil in the plug would definitely point to a failing eccentric shaft though.

Last edited by Suhb; 04-10-2017 at 11:16 AM..
Appreciate 0