View Single Post
      07-11-2019, 11:12 AM   #2
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
About to upgrade to the M3 control arms on my 135...am thinking of taking the plunge and getting a self-alignment measuring kit so I can stop spending money on "race" alignments at a specialty shop (since regular shops tend to not want to set camber and toe out of spec for legal reasons) and learn to do it myself.

Any thoughts on this setup?: http://www.wheelalignmenttools.com/p...gnment-system/

Any other recommendations?

TIA.
I think you can save yourself a lot of money by just using 4 jack stands and thread...

Set them up around the car. Ensure the string is level with the center of each wheel. Then, ensure the jack stands are square to both themselves and to the car (use the center hub as a reference point). Once squared up you can then measure your toe and this will also ensure the rear wheels aren't giving any thrust.

Camber can be measured by purchasing the same gauge shown in those pictures for $30 on amazon.

Boom lifetime alignments. I will say that doing string alignments sucks. An alignment machine will be more accurate no doubt but you can get a decent alignment at home. It's hard to get down a string alignment to 1/32" increments. You really need to be accurate down to 1/64" measurement when talking about setting toe to 1/16" per side or something.

Last edited by bbnks2; 07-12-2019 at 06:56 AM..
Appreciate 1
AndyW672.00