Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
As the post-PC era looms, I think that the better question is why anyone needs a desktop *or* a notebook? Most people can get by with a smartphone or tablet.

At work, I opted for a desktop computer (iMac) because I work in IT and sit at a desk 100% of the time. A side benefit of having a desktop PC at the office is that I can't bring work home at the end of the day.

At home, my personal computer is an i9 CPU Macbook Pro. Thanks to COVID-geddon, I'm also using it for work because WFH.

Going back to work is going to be fun, mostly because I haven't run updates on my office desktop since last October.....
Phones and tablets offer a similar trade-off that laptops do. Portability for cost.

A lot of us still require very powerful computers with multiple monitors, storage devices, expansion slots for specialized hardware, fast hard wired networks, and large specialized peripherals that not only require lots of power, but lots of space. Mix boards, decks, studio monitors, I/O boxes, scopes, etc... The home PC might be looming, but there are still plenty of need in the professional setting.

A tablet that can do everything a proper workstation setup is capable of is going to cost significantly more simply because they have to make it portable with a battery that will support all that processing and peripherals. Not to mention the flexibility of working with expandable components rather than one sealed device.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
mdf278.50