Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by adobeee View Post
Dac,

Noob here! I tried doing my first oil change and got the car up in the air using ramps, but was unsuccessful because the oil drain plug was too tight.

What are the settings that I should use for torque wrench?

I am using the Tekton 24330 torque wrench, but I also can not get enough ground clearance to make use of the torque wrench (wrench is too tall to position it to loosen the plug).

Is there any way of getting it off? Anyone located in Burlingame or the Bay Area to help out a fellow 1-er?
First... you don't use a torque wrench to remove tightened bolts. That's a good way to ruin your t.w.

What you need is a breaker bar. A long bar or lever that can multiply, the force your arm is applying to the fastened bolt/oil drain plug.

Now... this might sound silly... but are you SURE you were turning the oil drain plug in the correct direction? It's easy to get mixed up, when trying to un-do a fastened bolt. Especially when your laying on your back.

Remember... LEFTY loose-y and RIGHTY tighty!

You should be using a good sized 1/2 inch ratchet wrench or breaker bar. Do not use a 1/4" or 3/8th's ratchet... you just won't get enough torque to open that bolt.

Good Luck,
Dackel
Appreciate 0