View Single Post
      07-10-2017, 09:45 PM   #13
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

You're telling me you've never driven 120 before?

I'll be honest: a 1 series is a terrible car to track for a beginner. Even a 128 will have a lot more power than you can use and will teach you bad habits. Not to mention the car really isn't set up for it, and will be quite expensive to fix if there's an incident. Track days are extremely expensive especially if you want to get the level of experience necessary to really drive the car as an extension of your body. It takes HUNDREDS of hours of practice, ideally thousands, to get there. Yes, you will learn fast, but there's a lot to learn and a lot more to perfect, and you won't be very good without all those hours even if you have the natural talent of Raikkonnen or McRae. One word of advice, get a Miata or similar. It will teach you a lot more and be more fun.

Here's a better suggestion for you: if you want to haul ass and enjoy motorsport, look into karting or motocross. Motocross is about the sickest motorsport ever made, both in absolute terms and bang for the buck. All on a machine designed exclusively for racing which you can buy and operate for only a few thousand dollars. And the tracks are usually open multiple days a week, and you can ride as much as your body can handle for PENNIES compared to a car track day. I pay $25 to ride at the local track which has a bunch of different actual courses on the property. You'll learn to jump the bike and there will be other people on the track. You want to "race" them? Go for it, but don't ride over your head. Unlike cars, you can also compete in actual races pretty often without spending a fortune.

Karting is like motocross in terms of the track access and bang for the buck, but in my opinion it's not as challenging or fun. I've done both, but I sold my shifter kart because I would rather just go to the MX track.

One big misconception about automotive track days is they're like racing. This couldn't be farther from the truth until you get into an advanced or instructor group. Reason being, most of the participants don't actually have that much experience and there's a big safety and liability aspect which probably is there in no small part because people's cars are very expensive. So, as a result, there are a lot of rules on things like where you can pass. Boring...but safe. Actual racing with cars will cost you a small fortune.
Appreciate 1
SakhirM410784.50