01-16-2021, 05:31 PM   #8
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
This is a common response, but I'm really starting to doubt the wisdom of it. After seeing how brittle some of my seals had become, I would think adding more pressure could be the worst thing to do. It's likely to crack the gasket and cause an even worse leak. It just depends on the condition of the seal. If it's still pliable, then over-torquing may work. If they've already gotten brittle, it can't be good.

They're not a Honda or Toyota, but if I had to do it all over again, I'd still get an N52 without hesitation. I've been pleasantly surprised that the maintenance is nothing like I'd feared about a German car. I will say that they could bankrupt you if you're always paying a shop to do the work. There are many more OE parts available for this than there were for my Honda and they're no more expensive than Honda parts. One thing that does irritate me though is shelling out $30-$40 for torque-to-yield bolts every time I replace something.
Yea been lucky, the original leak was diagnosed fall 2019, about 10K miles ago. It's held since then so I'm guessing the gasket is still pliable.

I can do some minor work on the car, but I pay for most of the stuff. Living in a cold climate kills half the year, and now the car is parked outside as I have the cayman in storage in the garage, so working in the garage isn't an option.....sigh....it is what it is. I had the hood release cable snap 2 weeks ago, and 2 days after getting it back the head unit died (at least that's what it looks like, still diagnosing). Unless you're prepared to deal with the constant niggles and issues, I recommend selling at 100K miles lol...that's when it all started going south! I don't regret buying the car at all, it's probably my second favorite car I've owned (not including the Cayman, as that's too new to include yet)...
Appreciate 0