View Single Post
      02-18-2021, 10:57 PM   #798
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea328xit View Post
I certainly hope you are right - things are changing so quickly that I'm left wondering if the 8-cylinder engine development will be cut off earlier than was planned as recently as Sep 2019.
Rest assured, V8 engines are going nowhere soon. Hybridized V8s will be mainstays this decade in performance vehicles from Germany and elsewhere.

This beast:

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...oupe-spy-shots

is ready to go and will debut very soon, and the engine will be used in other vehicles. BMW isn't going to watch their competitors from the sidelines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea328xit View Post
Edit: Your note re MB S 580 likely confirms the 8 cylinder getting carried forward to at least the next generation of the current models that carry the 8 cylinder engine.
Ironically, that's not necessarily the case. The reason is, 500hp isn't hard to reach with an I6 hybrid setup. In fact, Mercedes happens to be adding an S580e soon that will employ their M256 I6 in a PHEV arrangement making about 500hp. BMW is cooking up something similar for an upcoming lineup of M50e models for their next generation. They may yet choose to position these as the replacements for, rather than additions to, the M50i lineup - we don't know.

But the top dog V8 M models will stick around for at least one more round.
Appreciate 1