02-19-2021, 12:54 AM   #799
bayarea328xit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 i3s; 07 328xit (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Rest assured, V8 engines are going nowhere soon. Hybridized V8s will be mainstays this decade in performance vehicles from Germany and elsewhere.

This beast:

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...oupe-spy-shots

is ready to go and will debut very soon, and the engine will be used in other vehicles. BMW isn't going to watch their competitors from the sidelines.

Ironically, that's not necessarily the case. The reason is, 500hp isn't hard to reach with an I6 hybrid setup. In fact, Mercedes happens to be adding an S580e soon that will employ their M256 I6 in a PHEV arrangement making about 500hp. BMW is cooking up something similar for an upcoming lineup of M50e models for their next generation. They may yet choose to position these as the replacements for, rather than additions to, the M50i lineup - we don't know.

But the top dog V8 M models will stick around for at least one more round.
Thanks for your thoughts - really helpful.

Considering the added weight, (given where we are right now in terms of hp/tq output) I think hybridization of the V8 seems quite pointless other than for bragging rights.

Given what is likely the low fraction of V8s sold for the current models, I wonder how may sales they are going to get of the hybridized V8s.

It would be helpful to see the distribution of sales by # of cylinders for the 5, 7, 8, X5, X6, X7 (including Ms) for the past year.
Appreciate 1
David701567.00