View Single Post
      10-20-2018, 02:51 AM   #13
Dandymon
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90

I also did this retrofit and it was super easy. It took me a while to figure out how to remove the airbag, those little holes on the steering column (through the leather) were virginal and I couldn't see them. I did think I could save on recalibrating the steering (because the rumour of lots of errors scared me) by using the new cruise stalk and adding it to my existing indicator cluster: no chance! Whilst I could physically fit the stalk into the cluster mounting and everything looked good, the ribbon cable had no FPC connector on the cluster PCB to plug into, so I had to use the new cluster-slip-ring-type-thingy. My error-fears and work-aversion habits weren't completely in vain, the steering recalibration was much easier than I thought with ISTA/D

Physical Actions:
Disconnected battery
Removed airbag
Removed steering wheel
Removed cowls
Swapped over stalk clusters.
Put cowls back on
Put steering wheel back on
Put airbag back on.
...took about 30 mins because of the faffing with the airbag. Don't overtighten the steering wheel bolt, use a torque wrench, they're a great investment.

Coding actions:
As above, added $540 to the VO for both CAS and NFRM.
Then coded all modules which failed a lot. I did it again and it failed differently (it was in German, I didn't know, I panicked and just hit program again).
After lots of retries I tried CC out in the road and it didn't work.... which turned out that I wasn't going fast enough, it needs to be over 20mph!
After finding out it worked, I then set about removing the steering and type pressure errors by recalibrating in ISTA/D.

Loaded the car and went to:
Vehicle management>service functions>Chassis>DSC>Adjustment>steering angle>[start search]>ASC/DSC sensor>[Display]. I had no guidance for this, it was pretty intuitive.
ISTA then walks you through a step by step with pictures and everything of what to do, I was suspicious it was an in-line manual and wasn't going to do anything, but amongst the clicking it started to communicate with the car. The coolest part was at the end when I was moving my steering wheel and the angle on screen was changing. It told me I might want to recalibrate other things, which I passed on and it was fine. The software gave me its life story of why I might need to recalibrate a sensor and what could cause errors that need recalibration. Sure enough, changing the slip ring thingy was one of the reasons.

Tool32 scares me, ISTA/D is a dream! Don't need ISTA/P.

It's been 2 months and my licence has been saved at least twice already by setting and forgetting the speed. (Obviously cover the brake!)
Appreciate 0