Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BForbes View Post
Marketing is very much as important as Performance. What do you think actually moves these cars? Being super reliable? Cheap to run? Excellent MPG? Or is it the supple and ultra luxurious interiors? It is all about looks and performance. A modern M car has to look like an M car, period. Are you forgetting that people will be ponying up to pay for a car more than $20,000 more than a 128i. Paying big money for tiny car has always been a hard sell for the American market.
All this is very true, but having built the brand into a symbol of performance excellence (and not because the cars just looked fast) they run the risk of diminishing the brand if they lose sight of the principles that got them there (performance, performance, performance). It's a very common story as corporations grow, age and then rot. There are probably many people who feel that the X5M and X6M were already steps in the wrong direction. I know everyone here hopes the M1 is a different story.