View Single Post
      06-08-2010, 05:43 PM   #64
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
All this is very true, but having built the brand into a symbol of performance excellence (and not because the cars just looked fast) they run the risk of diminishing the brand if they lose sight of the principles that got them there (performance, performance, performance). It's a very common story as corporations grow, age and then rot. There are probably many people who feel that the X5M and X6M were already steps in the wrong direction. I know everyone here hopes the M1 is a different story.
I don't think anything we're debating here will effect the performance in a way we can easily measure. We simply dont know what else they moved around weight wise. I mean while we're at it we might as well go back to 16inch M wheels, rip out the power seats, get rid of the adjustable xenons. You'll end up with a car you can't sell. I guess I'm in a slightly different camp. I dont care what other abomination a company makes as long as they have something for me. I dont think Ferrari and Lambo buyers pride themselves that the company does not make SUV's. They're likely proud of the company's history of producing amazing cars. Porsche having the Cayenne/Panamera has not diminished my feelings toward the company one bit.

You're right with performance, performance, performance. But until somebody can point me how much its going to suffer and in comparison to another car it dosen't bother me.

I had to change my underwear after reading the First drive of that 3600lb M3 with competition package. BMW can do amazing things with cars. It dosen't matter the weight. Read here:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...fications.html

In fact I'd say they are better with heavier cars than lighter ones. The Z4M was one of the lightest M's in a while and it still got its butt handed to it on many levels. E30 aside its almost as if 33XX-35XX is the hotspot for this companies mass produced stuff. Now I fully expect the M5 to be a major asterisk in my theory.

Unfortunately, today, you buy a BMW sports car for looks. You buy a coupe/sedan to get your socks rocked.