07-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #53
FactorX81
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i, 2014 Ford Escape Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtiGyver View Post
LSD hardware is far more expensive than a software solution so eLSD is definitely saving money for BMW, otherwise they would still install them in all their cars as they once did.
This is why nearly all car manufacturers today feature eLSD in their cars. VW already had it in the early 2000s.
Very little research needs to be involved, you are grossly overestimating the complexity of this kind of software system. A cheap easy solution to a known problem with open differentials.
I don't understand how bolting a $1500 piece of hardware and then making the car cost 1500 more is saving bmw money. I am sure they spread the cost of sw development and testing over the cars they sell however it is surely not a simple thing to do. I do embedded real time systems for a living including sensor processing etc. and I know it always costs way more to do something than people think. I just don't think the complexity of a system which must be calibrated to an individual chasis(tonnes of data collection/ simulation/ and testing) involving many variables is cheap or trivial. I mean why try when bolting up an lsd does exaclty the same thing and can be stamped out quite easily. My guess is safety, before the days of traction control, stability control, and these eLSD hi-po rwd cars were alot easier to wreck. These cars even with traction control off spin like tops with moderate throttle input on a wet road.
Appreciate 0