07-19-2012, 10:03 AM   #59
GtiGyver
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 Space Grey E90 328i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauce View Post
Ok, I wanted to drive my buddies e46 zhp and focus on the diff before I got back to this. A HUGE variable here is that my car has RS3's, so traction (in a straight line) really isn't an issue unless they are cold and his car is on some crappy bridgestones. I will give the eLSD credit in straight line. When my car had v12's, it would break traction at will in 1st and 2nd. I never felt like a 1 tire fire was going on. My buddies ZHP doesn't really have enough power to break 'em loose and I'm not going to pull the shenanigans necessary to get them loose (at least not w/ him in the car ).
I don't think the eLSD is really helping you that much in a straight line, I've had runs where just because the road wasn't perfectly level made me spin one tire more than the other as could be observed by the single black rubber mark on the road.

I will say this, it is better than nothing, and will provide better cornering control than a purely open diff. Especially around corners when one throttles up at the exit.
I think int2str may be overly optimistic in it's performance, however he is correct in saying that it does make a substantial difference when one pushes the car (slightly) beyond the traction limits.
Appreciate 0