View Single Post
      02-04-2017, 05:06 PM   #81
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M package

I have had one for my engine oil pan and another one for my manual transmission.

Both pick up metallic dust at every oli change. I can confirm this has been the case at every oil change I have been doing in the last couple of years. Its easier to see if you wipe the drain bolts down with a white paper towel.

Its obvious that the magnet will not attract particles that more than a few inches away, but will eventually do some of the pulling while the car is at rest, etc.

For the engine oil pan, I see the magnectic bolt as additional protection to the filter. For the manual Tranny which has no filter, I think the bolt plays a more important role.

Full disclosure, the car sees a lot of track abuse, so perhaps my use case and wear pattern are different than yours....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freon View Post
Couple year later update, still pretty sure this thing is 100% snake oil. It catches almost nothing, but perhaps more importantly I don't think it does anything the filter does not. There are only a few contaminants that are magnetic anyway, plenty of non-magnetic metals among other things.

he filter gets both the magnetic and non-magnetic stuff. I just don't see what even finding stuff on the plug proves, probably just stuff the filter would catch anyway.

The magnet is one small spot in the bottom of thee pan, nothing is forced past it. Magnetic force drops off incredibly fast with distance (1/R^3). No matter how strong this this is it will only pull magnetic particles towards in in a very small hemisphere around it.

I wouldn't buy one again unless it was for a small iron engine with no oil filter. I think it's silly, right up there with acupuncture. If I has spent more than a few minutes thinking about the physics and engine operation at play I probably could've save myself $35.
Appreciate 2
Dackelone10512.00
Bimmer TV125.00