Thread: 1M on Rally Rd.
View Single Post
      01-17-2019, 09:03 AM   #19
dkat
Private
Rep
Drives: 2000 BMW Z8, 2011 1M, 2020 Por

I think it is funny that 2 of the cars in the portfolio are cars I own. It got me to to thinking of how I came to the decision to buy both a 1M & a Z8. I had owned a Porsche 993 for about 10 years and in 2011 I decided it was time to move on to something else. The car was going to be a weekend, sunny day driver. I was tired of losing $ on essentially a toy. So I narrowed down the search to more of a limited production car. The thought was to minimize the depreciation. No thought on appreciation. It was either going to be a Ford GT or the Z8. Both were trending in low-to mid $100,000's, the GT just a little more at the time. Loved the GT. Brutal, fast beast of a car. However, there is not 1 ounce for storage in this car. Not even a place for sunglasses in the interior. I eventually ruled it out.
Always loved the Z8 since it came out. Classic lines and completely bespoke beautiful interior & guts of the M5 at the time. Convertible, and had a decent trunk for weekend jaunts. Found one from original owner with under 10,000 miles. I love it as much today as the day I bought it. Almost 20 years old & some people think it is a new model! I brought it to the dealer for an oil change and it being 2011, in the showroom was a brand new 1M. I thought wow, that is a cool little coupe, all angry & flared. Fast forward to 2017. I had room for another car and thought back to the 1M. I did not even know that the # imported was even less than the Z8. Found a stock AW 1M with under 10,000 miles & bought it. Only after I had it in the garage did I learn the whole development back story which is so cool. That turned out to be a great buy as well. So, both are nestled under covers for the winter. Come spring both will come out to play. I could have made more $$ in the market, but then I would have no toys to play with.
Appreciate 4
Yeineken1300.50
seis-speed2430.50
Tornado1M1211.00