View Single Post
      07-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #54
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronautics View Post
It was the general believe that the 135is leaves Germany as a 135i and get "transfered" in the VDC. Now I do not think that this is true. I think only the software upgrades are added in the VDC. I think that all the "hardware" comes in the P7MFA option. This will ensure that there will be no "waste" (no way BMW will replace mirrors, exhaust, rims, etc and dipose the old ones). The question then becomes why BMW does not add the software upgrade in Germany!! It could be that creating the 135is in Germany would require a special VIN number which requires extra certification that could be too costly for the predicted production numbers!!

Does any one have an opinion/knowledge about this matter?
Ya, we got evidence recently with both pictures of one our 135is cars going through its transformation at the VDC in April as well as conversations with the techs there. We're not 100% sure on the mirrors, but pretty sure it comes with just the black mirrors and 313 rims on it from Germany (looking exactly like that canadian version I assume).

Then, they do the software upgrade and install the other mechanical parts of the PPK 2 (auxiliary radiator, etc.). But, what was surprising and seemingly very wasteful is they do appear to arrive with the standard exhaust on, which is then taken off and the PE is installed. I have no idea what they do with the perfectly good standard exhaust. We saw a picture though of a forum member's 135is being worked on and it had the 313 wheel off seemingly for the PPK 2 radiator install in front of the driver's side wheel well, and the car still had the black-tipped stock exhaust on it in the picture.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0