01-12-2015, 09:19 AM   #36
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
In order to install brake ducting without limiting steering and possible damage from the tires, the duct must be routed aft then around the shock with a U-turn (like on Berk's race car). A 2.5" duct should clear everything easily between the hub and shock. I plan to squeeze a 3" in there, which will cause slight deformation but with little concern. There's also not enough room to route piping into the existing duct hole in the wheel well that leads to the front of the front bumper. The ducts must go through a more inward route, either by creating a new hole (as Berk did) or attach to wide-mouthed vacuum heads mounted below the car.
I found a way to fit 2-inch CAT-8 aircraft grade flex piping, by tapping a hole in the OE brake duct, and routing under the belly pan/splashshield. I havent yet decided whether to attach a 2-inch flange to the brake dust shield, or just cut an opening in the dust shield, and point the mouth of a 2-inch 45* elbow towards the center of the rotor.
See pics below:

This is where I have tapped a hole in the OE duct that goes into the wheel fender...

These are central vacumm 2-inch elbows that I used my dremel on, to create a mouth, and "Steal" the air from the OE bumper duct...

... elbow fed through cut-out on passenger side OE duct ...

... I used a flexible rubber funnel, that I carefully and gradually cut to fit inside the driver-side OE duct, and funnel air into my 2-inch 90* elbow...

This is how I route my 2-inch flex piping, above the plastic splash shield/belly pan, on the passenger side...
2011 X3 35i with M pack + 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255 square tire setup | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Diff lock down bracket | Bilstein B8+Swift SpecR springs+H&R FSB | CDV delete | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 FCA +guide rods+RSFB's+Tranny mounts | Manzo toe arms | Cobb Stg2 agressive tune | Hawk DTC70 brake pads | RB SS brake pistons | Goodridge SS brake lines | Custom brake cooling ducts

Last edited by dcaron9999; 01-12-2015 at 12:12 PM..
Appreciate 0