houtan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie1 View Post
Hello gents I went to adjust my coilovers last night, fronts were fine when I went to adjust rears I couldn't get them to budge. I didn't want to use excessive force so I'm holding off as of now. Am I missing something did anyone else have a hard time with the rears? These are the TC Kline S/A FYI.
The rears aren't designed to be adjusted with load on the perch. I learned this the hard way too. The first issue I ran into was there wasn't enough notches on the perch to get a full turn within the available space. So I turned with my hand until the perch hit the spring and then once under a little bit of load, the perch wouldn't budge. Contacted Harold and he told me they are not designed to be adjusted while on the car. Doh!! I was really annoyed, but that is partially my fault for not understanding the design.

Made sense after I thought about the design of the perch and how it is able to stay stationary even though there is no set screw on the rear perch. There is a lot of play between the perch and the spline it sits on when there is no load, then once the weight of the car hits the perch, the perch pushes up on the threads, and it wont budge.

So, for me, the way I adjusted the rear is working one side at a time, I removed the nut and washer on top of the shock (make sure you remove both because either one can fall into a black hole inside the rear quarter panel; learned that the hard way). Then, jack up the rear of the car from the diff until the shock drops far enough to allow the load to be removed from the spring, adjust the perch, then lower the car back down making sure the shaft of the shock is going back through the bushing. Roll the car back and forth a few times, confirm the height is where you want it, and reinstall the washer and nut. repeat for the other side. I guess you could do both at the same time, but I did one side at a time.
Appreciate 0