View Single Post
      04-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #97
sonicvanman
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 120D sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MSept11 View Post
My 6 month old AW 1M was stolen from my drive last night. Despite my best attempts to deter them, with CCTV and a house alarm, they managed to steal it in just under 3 minutes at 2am.

Luckily the CCTV caught them, the Police now have it so fingers crossed.

Just really to let you all know how they did it. BMW have identified a 'black spot' in the car's alarm on the inside of the car. Apparently this is on the passenger side, but on the 1M it appears to be on the driver side.

They smashed a small area of the driver door glass near to the wing mirror, put their hand down to the ECU in the footwell (in the black spot) then plugged in a device that can then 're-program' ANY BMW keyfob with the Radio Frequency of the car they are stealing and make that key the car key.

One of them then got in the car, released the handbrake and three of them pushed it off the drive and down the road where I guess they started it and hopefully wrapped themselves around a tree and slowly killed them in a fireball.
Really sorry to here this, i worry about my 8k 1er getting stolen but i would be proper p!ssed off if i had a 1M stolen, its worrying your in my area of the world to & this is going on, i have moved the OBD port & are thinking of getting some stickers made up to warn thieves the OBD port has been removed.

There a big thead over on babybmw about the same thing, bmw need to do something before all are insurence goes even more sky high.

It just shouldnt be that easy to get in or even to re-program a key or even buy a new key let alone buying in bulk.

just shocking.
Appreciate 0