Garage List
1998 BMW M3/4  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3 Sedan  [9.28]
1988 BMW M3  [9.40]
1990 BMW M3  [10.00]
2008 BMW 135i - sold  [0.00]
2003 BMW M3 - sold  [0.00]
AST suspension install...with rear subframe bushings

Ok, today I had a friend come over to help me (with a few special tools) to do the install of my AST suspension, rear subframe bushings, front and rear swaybars, M3 rear camber links, Mason front strut bar. Yes, you read it correctly.....rear subframe bushings and rear swaybar....in my garage!!!

I got all the parts together (pic below), got the car in the air, and started by disconnecting the brake lines on the drivers side of the back of the car and then we took off the exhaust. After the exhaust was down, we started on the subframe bushings. My friend works at the dealership and had the special tools (I know, kindof cheated). We unbolted the subframe and supported it with a jack, then used the special tools to remove the old bushing and put the new ones in. At the same time we worked on replacing the rear swaybar. After we got the bushings and the swaybars done we replaced the rear camber link, shocks, and springs. We mounted the exhaust back up, I mounted the Nitrogen canisters with some towels to protect them from getting scratched up (until I get some rubber insulator pads tomorrow), and finally bled the brakes.

So, now for the front.....replaced the front swaybar..........

This totally stinks. We thought we would get it done tonight, but somehow the front struts had passenger side camber plates on both of them. I have to send one in to have it fixed. Hopefully we will get it wrapped up soon!!

I had to drive it to test it out. First impression is dang, it's too low. I'll work on that tomorrow. Also, the alignment has so much toe-in that it is very unstable to drive. The back end just wants to dart around all over the place. I'm going to eyeball the toe and camber tomorrow and try to help with that. I will get it aligned after the front is complete.

I cannot believe how good the back of the car seems to ride considering it has close to 800# springs!!! I think I'm going to love the setup and may even want stiffer springs up front.

So, in the end.... I don't think replacing the rear swaybar is as hard as most make it seem. I would do it again in my garage with no problem. The subframe bushings are cake too if you have the special tools to do them. Enjoy....comments welcome!!

Edit: I want to thank my friend, Bryan, for his help in the install of these parts. I could not have done it without him and his expertise!!!!
Attached Images

2011 BMW 328i racecar - LeMans Blue/Black

Last edited by Justin(OKC); 11-18-2009 at 10:38 PM..
Appreciate 0