chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Struggling to get any camber adjustment on front left side

Hi guys, I just had my car into the shop for alignment, which was done in house by the techs. I trust the mechanics here and their clientele is mostly porsche and bmws, most of them track cars. Point being I trust they can do an alignment, it's a pretty legit shop.

Anyways, I had a long discussion with the tech as they struggled to get any camber adjustment from the front left of the car.

I have new m3 control arms installed which have less than 1000 miles on them. They checked the arms and everything they could, all is good parts wise. Other than that, I am on the stock 128i front struts and springs, which are original to the car. Currently at 85k miles. Alignment pins are removed, and they moved the strut inward on the strut mount as far as it goes which I can visually confirm.

Right now my camber is at -.1 degrees left, -.6 on the right. This is as much as they could go on the left side and they didn't want to go further on the right (right side they can get over -1 degree).

The car drives fine, always has. Everything feels tight and connected at high speeds, it rides fine, turn in is good, etc. Suspension looks fine in terms of ride height as well, nothing seems or feels off to me and I've been driving it for 8 years now.

Other info: caster, toe is easily adjustable to whatever spec, rear alignment is perfect within spec.

I've never had issues with alignment on this car. Used to have JRZ & camber plates on, never had problems getting any alignment spec I wanted. After I had these parts removed I had the stock suspension put in and drove it that way probably 10-15k miles until now, again, no alignment problems.

So what could be the issue here as to why I can't get more negative camber, even with the M3 arms? Any ideas, suggestions would be great. Thanks
Appreciate 0