View Single Post
      06-11-2011, 11:08 AM   #1
panoz7
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Badge Template

I just got my 1 a few weeks ago and discovered this forum last week. It has already been a fantastic resource, and I'm learning a lot.

One of the first threads I stumbled across involved swapping the stock chrome badges for matte black ones. I'm considering doing that but I wanted to try going badge-less for a few weeks first, which brings me to this post. In the thread I read most people are using painters tape to create a template for the new numbers. I didn't want to risk losing / crumpling the painters tape after pealing it off so I created a paper template. I figured it might be useful for others as well, so I'm posting it here.

Start by downloading the template pdf. The verified templates have been confirmed to work by myself or other thread members. The unverified templates were created using the specs supplied by BMW, but have not been tested. The BMW specs do not indicate the thickness of the individual numbers. I was able to make the initial template by measuring the letters on my badge. Numbers other than 1,3,5, and i, may be slightly off. If you use one of the unverified templates and it works please post pictures in this thread. If you need a template made for your model please PM me.

Disclaimer: If you read through the thread you'll see that there's variation in the position of the badge from the factory. These templates were created using a combination of the BMW specs and measurements taken from my car. They should align the badge in the way the factory intended, but may not match your current badge position.

Verified Templates:
E82 135i

Unverifed Templates:
E82 123d

Print it out from acrobat with page scaling turned off. Once you print it verify that it printed at the correct size using the ruler scale on the left. You can then cut it out -- an xacto works best, but scissors would be fine too. It aligns with the edge of the CHMSL and the top and right edge of the license plate indent (see the photos). I set it up so that it aligns with the seams just where they start to curve away.

Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.
Attached Images

Last edited by panoz7; 12-30-2011 at 09:14 AM..
Appreciate 2
Almuliman414.50