08-18-2020, 02:29 AM   #6
Boost3d_1M
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: E82 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
BMW recommends every two years based more on time than miles as the real issue is that it draws water over time. If you track it, extreme heat might cause some breakdown also but DOT4 has similar properties so two years is plenty good. Once a year can't hurt the car but it does impact the environment since we have to dispose of that stuff.

Motul mostly caters to high performance where BMW caters to the masses that sometimes don't change on two year intervals so if your car is mostly sitting around, you are probably better off with BMW or Pentosin LV for sitting than more exotic high performance blend that was designed for higher heat loads.

Now the following is just an assumption so I am mentioning this since I don't have time right now to research it. So for disclosure this is my assumption:

The higher the heat load a brake fluid can handle, the shorter change interval recommended. DOT 3 can go 3 years, DOT4 2 Years. So I assume that a fluid with more thermal capacity would have substances that draw more water and have shorter life than one that draws less water. I think BMW and Pentosin LV achieve a durability and temperature balance that would probably be best for a car that sits. IMHO.
Thank you so much for that very insightful post , i will be mindful of what you said and go back to using the OEM fluids especially since i dont have any real intention of tracking the car
Appreciate 1
nachob2312.00