Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by simianspeedster View Post
I really miss that steady "climb the mountain" pull of the N52 and, again, I really love the N52 even in detuned form. I know the 230HP variant in the 128i is not as strong as the engine from my Z4, but I think it's plenty to motivate a 3,200-ish lb. car and I really want to focus on getting a lighter, nimbler car that splits the different between the Z4 Coupe and the 335 Coupe. I kind of have old-school car values (and I still miss my E30 M3 from way back in the day).
This sounds like as good a reason to get into a 128i as I've ever heard. You already know how great the N52 is. I've never driven a 335i coupe, but I have driven the convertible, and to me the 128i is more fun in every way. Much more tossable. Not going to get into the whole 135i thing, except to say that if the 135i is lighter than the 335i, then the 128i is lighter still. Under 3200 lbs if you w/o sunroof, power seats, etc. You will not have the instant torque available when you mash the go pedal, but I'm sure you realize that. Best thing to do would be to drive one first, of course, but the 6MT's are pretty impossible to find in dealer stock.

BTW - were you asking questions around here before you went with the 335i? I seem to remember your name and a Z4, now that I think about it. I guess the pull of the 1er is strong, lol.