View Single Post
      05-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #14
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Corvette Grand Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by simianspeedster View Post
Thanks a bunch -- this is really helpful insight, exactly what I'm looking for (pros *and* cons). It really validates my approach to this car hunt and some of your statements about the characters of the two respective cars reminds me of my experience from driving them back to back.

Considering your 3 was a 2008 (i.e. before BMW revised the 3 Series suspension) and it doesn't appear that BMW made any mid-stream suspension changes to the U.S. market E82, I wonder if the 1 with Sport/M-Sport has a bit harsher ride than my car. Obviously a test drive is in order, but if that's the trade-off required to split the difference between Z4 and 335, I think it is what it is. As much as I like the look of the 18s, I'm actually kind of glad that the 128 comes with slightly taller 17" tires even with Sport/M-Sport because I think they'll ride better, maybe wear a bit better and have less of a tendency to bubble. Function over form...

Glad I could help!

You definitely need to drive these two cars back to back to decide for yourself.

I cannot comment on any suspension changes between model years, I can only compare my 2008 335i to my 2011 135i.

Regarding the tires though, my Bridgestone RFTs on my 3 were VERY prone to bubbles. I had to replace all four tires in my first year of ownership due to severe bubbles. When I traded it in after the second year, all four of the new tires had severe bubbles. The Dunlop RFTs on my 1 seem to be a lot better. After one and a half year of ownership, I just have one small bubble in my front passenger tire. Not sure if this was all due to the tire itself or if perhaps it has something to do with the (marginally) lighter weight of the 1.
Appreciate 0