View Single Post
      04-22-2015, 01:01 PM   #26
Jermz
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillOne View Post
Hey Steve, you seem to have a good understanding of the DP fix. My NJ inspection is coming up in May. I have a 3 yo JB4 and fairly new xless DPs for my 08 135. When I first bought the JB4 I was under the impression that the DP fix "took care" of everything, but that's not the case, right? To pass I need an external DP fix it seems. Can you recommend one? I was looking at the VSFR DP fix for $69. Does it normally come with instructions? Does the fix get installed / connected to the JB4 harness? I'm starting to stress as May is a few short weeks away. I appreciate any info you can give me. Thanks!
Hey BillOne,
I'm not Steve but I'm most likely best to answer this for you. I too live in NJ and have gone through the same panic. I have VSRF DP's installed with a JB4 AND VSRF DP fix. You need BOTH to pass NJ inspection. Below is why and I apologize in advance for my lack of technical lingo.

They changed NJ inspection a few years back and they no longer can fail you on emissions. They only look under to car to see if you have mid-cats (visibly) and check for error codes. Here is why you need the DP fix. When they connect the cable from their computer to your car to read for codes, the readings only pass when JB4 is on map 0 (disabled). Last year I had my JB4 on map 5 and their computer was clicking like crazy and they were about to fail me. Luckily the guy let me hop in my car and change to map 0 and I immediately passed. You cannot depend on the JB4 auto clear option to pass inspection since you need to disable the JB4 to pass! The DP fix takes care of this by preventing any DP sensory error codes regardless of what state the JB4 is in.

If you installed your own JB4 than the DP fix should be no problem. It comes with instructions and gets installed in the same place as the JB4. To make things simple, I would uninstall the JB4 and return the ECU to stock, install the DP fix and check to make sure it's working. Than reinstall JB4. Just to give you an idea, here is a site with some screenshots of identical instructions:
View post on imgur.com

Again, it's a very easy install

I hope this helps bro.
Appreciate 0