Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by odj View Post
Since this thread's been a good resource for me, I figure I might as well post my own experience.

I just wrapped up installing a pair of seats into my 2013. I'm a fairly large guy - 6'1, 250lbs, size 40 waist. All torso, too.

Parts used:
VAC floor mount brackets (e90/e92 version), and all the accoutrements.
Planted seat brackets
OMP WRC-R XL seats

The seats BARELY fit in the car. I had to remove the center console to get that extra few mm of clearance to shut the door. Even then, both seats push into the door card when the door is closed.

I'm not sure if I'd recommend the combo of parts I used. I had to notch the Planted rails in order to bolt them where I wanted them (the slot spacing is different than the VAC mounts). I started with a dremel and ended up buying a die grinder and a burr to save myself time and cursing.

And the bolts for the front were really hard to get to with the seat in place. I had to cut down a couple of different Allen keys to get them in those tight ass spaces.

This is how everything lined up with the seat where it needs (has?) to be:

And a shot of the passenger seat, which is set the same as the Driver's:

I'm still fiddling with my seating position - it's a bit to bolt-upright at the moment, and with a helmet on I'm still touching the headliner. Hoping I can get to the allen bolts on the trans tunnel side to maybe bring the front end up a bit. Any advice to getting the perfect driving position would be appreciated. I can control the car well where I'm sitting, but I'm afraid it'll be uncomfortable for long sessions, especially since the Hans pushes my head forward a bit.

Overall - this was a big pain in the ass. I'm pretty experienced mechanically and this was a really fiddly, annoying project.
Thanks for sharing! I just installed RT4009 standard width in my car using all VAC hardware (E9x floor mounts and side mounts which I think are the same as the E82 stuff), and I probably uninstalled/installed these things about 7 or 8 times before I got the seating position right. I'm too tall for sliders so every adjustment needs the entire seat to come out. Happy with where it's at now, no problems even after a 2.5 hour drive.

What roll bar is that? I bought an Autopower one and it should be installed next week along with the harnesses. Yours looks a little more robust.
Appreciate 0