View Single Post
      09-01-2014, 06:19 PM   #91
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

As usual, Dack's advice on checking direction is right on. I change a lot of cars, due to quarterly events at church, and I like to set up ratchet and then use it to check my direction when under the car. It is just too easy to get disoriented. While you don't need to use a torque wrench when taking the plug out, it has reasonable leverage so you can. My favorite ratchet for tight fasteners is a Harbor Freight extendable 3/8 ratchet. It extends in about 4 increments to give you more leverage. The drain plug is in the aluminum pan so you want to be careful with it. If it has been over tightened, however, you have to get it out. If it is way tight, you may need to use an impact wrench.

On American cars with steel drain pans, I sometimes put my foot on the wrench and push with my leg when they are really tight. But I make sure I am going the right way first.