09-07-2017, 03:51 PM   #9
WhatsADSM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortlandWineGuy View Post
Thanks for the advice!

I'm not getting a CEL/gear warning light. I'll try pulling codes with my Carly but I don't think I can make it to any more track events before the rains/winter come. Maybe there will be some stored though. We tried pulling codes before and couldn't find anything using a scanner but my Carly found a few codes but I had believed unrelated to trans/overheating but could have been wrong. Any ideas which ones they might be?

Trans cooler is built in to radiator. Extra cooling systems seem to help a little or sometimes for some others facing this issue IIRC, but they cost $700+ (IIRC). If I could know it would help I might go this route but might rather save that money for a dedicated track toy.

The reason I believe it's overheating is that I read about these issues on the e90 forums, that the transmission won't shift easily nor allow power delivery when it happens on track, but returns to normal after cooling down (Sounds like TCC/clutch?!). By removing lower engine/trans plastic shield and running heat on full blast I was able to drive it harder, longer before issue occurred.

I'm very interested in a tune/TCC fix if possible. Details?
CSF sells an upgraded radiator (PN #7046) for the automatic 135i/335i guys. I'm not sure if this is compatible with the 128, however it is very well reviewed by everyone that has it (myself included), and its relatively inexpensive as well (~$500).
Appreciate 0