View Single Post
      07-16-2019, 02:30 PM   #62
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
The frequent vehicle swapping behavior of 'modern' car enthusiasts is very unbecoming. Whatever happened to traditional car ownership where people saved up for the car they really wanted, bought it, and then maintained it, drove it endlessly, repaired it, drove it more, passed it down to their kid, etc.? What happened to the enthusiasts who weren't swayed by marketing and hype? What happened to the ones who knew what they wanted and knew that a car is just an object that serves as a companion to their lives? These days, I see people ordering custom paints and options, even European deliveries, and then watch them trade their car in 20 months later for sometimes a lightly face-lifted counterpart. Or, even worse, they switch to an 'upgraded' model that has a 'Ring time that is six seconds faster.

What caused this fleeting attention deficit to happen? My guess is some of this has been caused by the rising popularity of leasing but i don't think that's the primary reason. I think people are far more naive to marketing and online publicity these days than ever. They're also pushed by the shallow pursuit of social media introductions and exhibitionism. And people are attracted to 'tech' more than ever, so the constant addition of new tech has been like a fishing hook attracting everybody's money.

I'd like to propose that people think about being more old school. Before I bought the 1M, I used to daydream about buying other cars and play that 'imaginary' car shopping game with myself on eBay all the time. It felt toxic and empty and shallow, to be honest. I ended up buying my modern 'dream car' and in my 5 years of ownership I have never wanted anything else. It has 90k miles on it, and I am looking forward to the next 90k miles and then handing it down to my kid afterwards.

Yes, it's ok to own cars out of warranty. No, it's not more expensive than buying a new car every 50k miles. Yes, it's actually more satisfying to learn and bond with a car over many miles and years. No, a new car smell is not more satisfying than a distinctive older car smell! Latest is not greatest. It's just the latest. Greatest is when man/woman and machine form a bond and trust that allows the machine to become a part of a person's life. I know there are BMW and other car owners on here who have owned the same cars for a long, long time. To all of them I salute you! In my opinion, you are true motoring enthusiasts! Feel free to share your story!

I'd be curious if you're married and/or have kids??

I think we all have changing levels of practicality. Some people think I'm nuts that I haul my family around in my 1er, but they don't know that this car was actually a move up in interior size from my former Porsche 911 and Cayman! It's practically my SUV.

That being said, as much as I love my car, once there are no kids in the house someday, I won't be surprised if I go back to Porsche, but I may keep my 1er. When it was time for a usable backseat with somewhat modern safety features, the 1er was the only car that interested me at just about any price from the last couple of decades.
Appreciate 1
10"4973.00